With a bachelor’s degree in journalism and specializations in integrated communication and marketing management, I use my passion for storytelling to help people and brands connect, and love all about it!
Through full-time roles and freelance work, I’ve designed branding, communications and social media strategies, created content and built engaged communities for organizations in health care, education, sustainability, technology, wellness, nutrition and architecture.
What I’m Doing
I’m a communications specialist at the BC Patient Safety & Quality Council, which advises the Ministry of Health on quality of care and fosters collaboration between health system stakeholders throughout British Columbia. I lead communications for the Patient Voices Network (PVN), a community of patient and health care partners working together to improve the health care system.
I designed PVN’s communications strategy, wrote content for the website and marketing materials, and launched the Twitter and Facebook profiles in 2016. Now, I deliver and implement the annual communications plan for the network, which involves:
- Partnering with patients, health care providers and other stakeholders on storytelling projects;
- Content marketing;
- Public relations;
- Community and social media management; and
- Digital marketing.
I also work with the Patient & Public Engagement team on strategies to diversify PVN’s membership and increase engagement of Indigenous, LGBTQI2-S, youth and immigrant populations, something that particularly interests me.
My Previous Experience
Before moving to Canada, I was a founding partner in a communications agency in Brazil for nearly six years. I started Dona Comunicacao from scratch with two partners in 2009 and grew it to over 50 clients in several industries. I designed and managed content marketing and public relations strategies for them, and my activities included:
- Writing and editing different styles of copy such as news articles, press releases, and website and social media content in English and Portuguese;
- Analyzing data, creating and presenting detailed monthly and annual reports for clients;
- Offering media training sessions;
- Planning, promoting and supporting events for clients and media;
- Leading check-in meetings with clients;
- Prospecting new clients; and
- Supporting and leading the 10-people team.
It was a time of priceless experiences in marketing, communications, entrepreneurship and leadership, and friends and memories that will last forever. I quit the partnership in 2014 to follow my Canadian dream and am now a proud cheerleader of their growth.